How you are calculating staff need or workforce requirement of your call center
It is very important that you avoid the most common mistake in calculating staff numbers, because if you do not, you will be severely understaffed.
- 5,000 calls per day
- 2 minutes for Average Handling Time (AHT)
- 8 hours (the span of hours for which the call center is open)
Let’s see traditional method to calculate staff requirement
- 8 x 60 = 480 minutes
- 480/2 = 240 calls per advisor per day
- 5,000/240 = 20.8 i.e 21 advisors required – this figure will leave you very understaffed.
However, this method does not consider factors such as:
- Call volumes vary across the day
- Callers may be waiting for a long time
- Holidays, sickness and team meetings, training etc.
So, Follow the below step process.
1. Get the data of how many calls are coming into the business
- Every 30 Minutes
2. Find the percentage of call landing on every 30 minutes
3. Take a look at Average Handling time
4. Think about your service Level what you want to be
it is up to you to decide on a service level that keeps you competitive and does not involve recruiting too many advisors.